It is probably difficult to find among us a person who would not like this berry. Ripe, juicy, sweet - it is difficult to refuse such a treat, and, as a rule, it does not linger on the table. But this is only if it was chosen correctly. In the media during the harvest period, the stories about various cases of poisoning with low-quality watermelons continually slip through. In one, it was found that the amount of nitrates was exceeded several times, another berry “presented” intestinal disorder to a person with all the ensuing consequences, and in the third - it caused an exacerbation of kidney and liver diseases. Unfortunately, the truth of life today is such that in the pursuit of profit the manufacturer often does not think about the consequences of buying his product. Therefore, we must be able to determine the quality product ourselves, and know how to choose a ripe watermelon and without nitrates in order to protect ourselves and loved ones from possible health problems. If you do not have time to read the article, I advise you to watch this video, in which everything is listed on the shelves.
Useful tips on choosing a watermelon
- To choose a place in which you will buy, fit very carefully. It should beware of products that sell in stalls near highways. It absorbs various substances from the air very well, and it definitely doesn’t absorb anything useful near the highway.
- Do not hesitate to ask the seller about the availability of the certificate of state sanitary and epidemiological surveillance. After all, storage requires the fulfillment of certain conditions. In particular, keep in mind that the sale is allowed only from special pallets not less than 20 cm high, besides the berries themselves must be hidden from the sun under a canopy.
- Do not trust the seller the choice of berries. You can sell a berry that no one wants to buy, and, as a rule, it is not the best quality.
- Damaged and notched worth it to get round. So you will save yourself and your family from possible infection with E. coli, which gets through dirty hands and knives directly into the flesh.
- A ripe watermelon when tapped will respond to you with a dull sound, and even with strong compression you can hear a characteristic crackling sound - it will surely turn out to be very tasty.
- If you do not know how to choose the right watermelon,look at the berry carefully from all sides - on its side you should find a small bright yellow spot (on this side and matured lying on the ground). If it is too large, this may be a sign that the conditions for growth were not the most suitable (for example, there was not enough light), and it may not meet your expectations.
- The clear spherical shape, the absence of cracks and puncture marks, the good contrast of colors are the signs of high-quality and tasty watermelon. They need to pay attention.
- It is preferable to buy their medium size. Too small ones can be torn off yet unripe, and too large ones should raise suspicion about the use of growth drugs.
- When cutting at home, carefully inspect the flesh. Thick streaks of yellow color indicate a high concentration of nitrates. It is better not to eat such a product. Do a simple test: dip a piece of pulp in boiled water. If after a while the water turns out to be turbid, then you can safely taste the sweet fruit, and if the liquid turns pink, then know that it has been tinted. Again, such a product will be dangerous.
- The sour aroma of the cut berries indicates the beginning of the fermentation process. If you eat it, you can get food poisoning, and even get to the hospital bed.
The people are widely known for some signs of ripeness, which in fact do not have a sufficient basis. For example, the presence of a dry stalk is a priori considered a sign of ripeness. However, no one can guarantee that this stalk has not dried at the time of transportation of the product to the place of sale. So you shouldn’t fully rely on this method of determining the ripeness of berries.
Also, many are mistaken about the wide trace of the flower of the plant, which is called watermelon. Like, the wider - the more ripe. But in fact, this trace does not affect the taste. It only says that in front of you is a berry that was given by a female plant. These simple tips are sure to help you with the purchase of this berry, and to please them the whole family.