Osteomyelitis- It is a purulent infectious disease that affects bone tissue, the periosteum, and the bone marrow.
Most often, the disease occurs on the shoulder, hip, vertebrae, jaw bones.
Symptoms of osteomyelitis:
- severe weakness, lethargy, rapid pulse;
- pain in the bone, over time, the pain increases;
- after two or three days, redness and swelling occur at the site of injury;
- high leukocytosis in blood.
If symptoms of the disease appear, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Treatment of osteomyelitis:
- compulsory hospitalization;
- immobilization of limbs;
- active antibiotic therapy - from 4-6 weeks;
- carry out detoxification;
- shown drainage of foci of festering, removal of pus, washing the cavity with antibiotics;
- if necessary, conduct surgical intervention;
- In the chronic course of the disease, surgical intervention is mandatory.
Disease prognosis- usually positive, but, of course, it all depends on the severity of the disease, which is why it is very important to consult a doctor at the first symptoms of the disease.
Osteomyelitis treatment- This is a long process, it usually takes several months for complete recovery.
Possible complications and prevention
The acute phase of osteomyelitis is dangerous for the development of sepsis, malnutrition and kidney damage. Chronic disease can lead to pathological fractures, skeletal deformities, as well as the occurrence of malignant tumors in the area of the source of infection.
Prevention of osteomyelitis
The basis for the prevention of this disease is the avoidance of impurities, even minor injuries of the skin, the correct and timely treatment of wounds, the immediate appeal for medical help for complex wounds.